Framed Cabinet Construction
At Wellsford, we understand that purchasing custom cabinetry is an investment in your home and may also be a once in a lifetime experience. One of the most important decisions when selecting a cabinet style is choosing the quality cabinet construction that appeals to the homeowner’s style and aligns with the look and feel of the home.
Framed cabinets provide a classic design that offers the character and craftsmanship of the traditional American style. The construction includes a 1-1/2” wide solid wood face frame. This face frame provides flexibility on how the selected door style is mounted to the cabinet. The doors and drawer heads can sit inside the frame, known as inset, or they can sit over the frame, known as overlay. The amount of overlay can vary from 1/2”, 1-1/4”, or 1-3/8”, depending on the look you are trying to achieve.
- Box Construction: Custom built in USA to design specific sizes and features with North American Furniture Grade Plywood, wood joinery, and wood glue (no hot melt glues are used)
- Solid Hardwood Face Frame: 1-1/2” solid wood with blind mortise and tenon construction
- Cabinet Sides: 1/2” plywood concealed in dado joint (Optional 3/4” plywood)
- Full-Height Cabinet Back: 1/2” captive in wood joinery with 1/2” removable ledger (1” total thickness at rails)
- Cabinet Floor: 1/2” plywood captive in wood joinery to ensure your cabinetry stands the test of time (Optional 3/4” plywood)
- Corner Block Braces: 3/4” plywood wood for additional square reinforcement
- Premium Drawer box: 5/8” 4-sided dovetail box with 1/4” or 3/8” captured plywood bottoms, smooth sanded joinery, 1/8” rounded edges with natural clear coat finish after construction
- Full-Extension, Soft-Close Drawer Glides: Blum undermounted glide
- Soft-Close Hinges: Blum concealed soft-close (Optional: Exposed hinge in various finishes)
- True Flush Finished Sides: 3/4” with no visible joint along with multiple decorative side options
- Shelves: Adjustable 3/4” veneer core plywood with wood edge banding
- Toe Kick: 1/2” or 3/4” plywood and extends up to support cabinet floor
- Wall Cabinets: 13” inches deep plywood construction with finished bottoms to match doors
- Wellsford Finishing: A detailed multi-step finishing process completed with a catalyzed conversion varnish top coat to seal the finish and enhances the colors, adding durability and sheen.
Quality is in the details
These details are often not discussed because they are not as exciting as selecting a door style, or finish color. However, they are vital to knowing that your cabinetry investment is being made towards a product that will enhance your home and avoid maintenance issues.